Thursday 3 March 2011

Spicy Sausage Patties with Lettuce Wraps (and all sorts)

These spicy sausage patties are great as little picky things to go alongside a drink. They've got nice kick to them that keeps you wanting for more. Serve with all sorts of condiments and you can create different variations of parcels. Lettuce, sour cream and cool salsa for a Tex-Mex twist; or Chinese-peking-duck-inspired route with hoisin sauce, spring onions and cucumber. I couldn't decide, so I had both. Yum!

Anyway, lent season starts in less than a week time. This year I plan to give up meat entirely and until few days ago I thought I can do that. But as I was eating these little bundles of goodness, I started to doubt myself. A recent survey among work colleagues, so far most people said that I shall fail, one laughed out loud about the idea of me giving up meat and one person said that I might fail (that one person is me). Interesting...

One last thing, an important note to self: DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT under any circumstances, go to the toilet after chopping chillis without washing your hands... I cannot believe this happened... again.


Spicy Sausage Patties with Lettuce Wraps
Recipe by Nigella Lawson
Makes 16 patties

400 g good quality sausages or sausage meat
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 green chilli, de-seeded and chopped
1 red chilli, de-seeded and chopped
2 teaspoons English mustard
1 garlic clove, peeled and grated
Zest of 1 lemon
2 thin or 1 fat spring onion, finely sliced
2 teaspoons chopped fresh coriander
1 x 15 ml tablespoon vegetable oil

to serve:
leaves from iceberg, escarole or little gem lettuces
pitta breads or flat breads, warmed
limes, cut into wedges

Squeeze the sausage meat out of the casings into a bowl, and then add the ginger, chillis, mustard, garlic, lemon zest, spring onion and coriander.

Mix everything together thoroughly and then make small patties roughly a walnut sized amount and shape it into a fat, little disc.

Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the patties over a medium heat for about 3 minutes a side or until properly cooked through.

Transfer to a platter and arrange the lettuce leaves, flat breads and anything else you want to eat with them.

10 comments:

  1. Mmmm lovely recipe Michael. Bet they'd be nice with lemongrass too ! I could never imagine giving anything up for Lent. 40 days without meat! That's crazy talk. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, I got a laugh from your potty issue but I can just imagine how awful that must have been! It is funny that you posted this as I was just looking at this recipe last night thinking how delicious it looked in the cookbook. We must be on the same delicious wavelength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh those meat balls look so darn inviting!
    Michael, you cook and bake so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad learned that little rule about the bathroom after chopping up habaneros!! lol
    The sausage patties look wonderful! I would devour all of those.

    I think if you really wanted to, you could give up meat entirely. It would take a ton of will power, but I think you have it in you. Personally, I don't know why you would want to give it up ENTIRELY, but that's just the carnivore in me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't give up meat! Meat is delicious! Can in point, these patties look amazing! PS Hope you join the Bread Pudding of the Month Club this month! I just posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it! There are so many other delicious things to eat - just focus on them and you'll be fine. Love these sausage patties! Sorry about what happened. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, you can do it!! I cannot!!! Love the potty talk ;). The patties look divine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Michael-that is funny, but not "ha ha" funny. Next time you should wear gloves, as they always caution. For me, the way it happened is, that I wiped my eye, and I thought I would go blind...that's no fun either.
    Love your little sausage patties, so yummy and spicy. I really enjoy reading your day to day posts with your daily "adventures"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are too funny, so since you said "again" I can assume on more than one occasion...
    Your sausage patties look perfect for a get together :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man these look so good! Good luck with whatever you decide to give up for lent! I would never be able to give up meat! Oh man...poor thing...wash your hands after handling chiles any time!

    ReplyDelete