Thursday 20 January 2011

Blondies and Man Brownies

Blondies or often called blond brownies, are these rich, dense and chewy bars or cookies with a wonderful butterscotch-y flavour.  These ones are made with oats, sweetened condensed milk, light muscovado sugar, dark chocolate chips and they are deeeelicious...


This is a very easy recipe to do... the hardest part for me is to stop myself from drinking the sweetened condensed milk.

Blondies
Recipe by Nigella Lawson
Makes 16 pieces

200 g porridge oats, not instant
100 g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
150 g soft unsalted butter
100 g light muscovado sugar
1 x 397 g can condensed milk
1 egg
1 x 170 g packet dark chocolate chips

1 x 23 cm square cake tin or 1 x foil tray approx. 30 x 20 x 5 cm

Preheat the oven to 180 C and line the cake tin with foil - this makes it easier to get the Blondies out later.

Combine the oats, flour and bicarb in a bowl.  In another bowl mix or beat the butter with the sugar until pale and airy.  Then add the condensed milk, followed by the oats mixture.

When these are well mixed, beat in the egg and fold the chocolate chips.  Pour into the tin and smooth it down with spatula.  Cook in the oven for 35 minutes.  The Blondies should feel a tad under-cook, but don't worry, it should be like that.

And now, if you want just chocolate... although saying that this is more than just chocolate brownies, it's Guinness & Walnut Brownies! but I prefer its nickname: Man Brownies.


I found this recipe from one of my favourite food blogs Dear Love Blog and it's been sitting in my 'to-bake' folder for sometime now and I'm glad this brownies finally made it to my table and my stomach.  This brownies is out of this world, it's so good.  Adding Guinness to brownies may seem odd, but it works.

If you want to know how to make this Man Brownies, and see a better picture, which by the way is also my desktop background for one of my work computers, simply click here.  The other computer has a picture of slowly roasted pork belly, for your information... I know, I know, I need help.

Spaghetti with Marmite, again for dinner... This is addictive.

19 comments:

  1. Very manly indeed. will get onto the man brownies soon- but first, those blondies! I've got all the ingredients INCLUDING homemade sweetened condensed milk (finally, something to do with it besides eating it by the spoonful)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They could easily be turned into lamingtons. I'm just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice dish brownies ..... nice blog dear

    Keep Visiting Dear Friends....Thanx
    Lyrics Mantra
    Music Bol

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. The minute I read condensed milk I was sold.These look marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. don't listen to Mr p... he's a Lamington pusher and has got my mind into a proper muddle... your blondes look truly yummy... yet another recipe for Full Fat February!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at brownies, Michael!! I love any kind of brownies.... and blondies are so unappreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blondies look great. I'll have to have a go, I'll keep you posted on the results.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael-Absolutely love the blondies, and your fudgy brownies. You seem to love everything "Nigella"...and I can see why!
    Also your lemony chicken stew with the olives look so comforting and delicious, in your previous post!
    Have a wonderful weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These blondies look delicious, and Man brownies, very interesting :)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo.. you're right. This is quite easy to make! I might make some this weekend, just to keep me from drinking that can of sweetened condensed milk that has been sitting in my pantry for a while now, calling my name, tempting me to open it :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. you can make me Nigella's blondies anytime! They look wonderful and the oats are such a nice addition!
    Hope your having a good weekend my friend!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look truly delicious. I love how thick they are. I have a new linky on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweets-for-saturday-1_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love blondies! They are my favorite. And very american of you to try. Even though it was a Nigella recipe. The man brownie idea is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michael, your man brownies (mownies?) look amazing, but I think we should pool our efforts and set up a support group for those who cannot resist the siren call of opened tins of condensed milk. Whaddya say?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Angela: Do not let me get anywhere near that home made sweetened condensed milk... it's dangerous.

    Mr.P: I am working on my lamingtons :)

    ManPreet Kaur: Thank you. I hope you come and visit again.

    Barbara: Thank you. Condensed milk... yum...

    Dom: I know. I keep thinking about my first lamington. Full Fat February sounds like a lot of fun!

    Jenn: Thanks. Blondies rocks!

    Alex: I cannot wait to read about it.

    Elisabeth: I am obsessed about Nigella. :)

    Alisha: It's very interesting indeed. The Man brownies is very rich and dark and delicious.

    Kimberly: I am not allowed to keep any condensed milk in the house unless I need it.

    Chef: Why don't you come over then Chef? I'll make you a batch.

    Lisa: Thanks for visiting. I just linked the blog earlier. :)

    Rick: They are becoming my favourites too Rick. Do try the Man Brownies.

    Lucy: Let's do that! I have to be first patient though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday. I really appreciate the support and hope you'll be able to join in again next week. By then I'll have a cute button you can grab.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those blondies look so scrumptious! I love to make Guinness chocolate cake. I'll bet The Hubble would LOVE those man brownies! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heeehhhe :) Man brownies..., Man.., you had me hooked with the word brownie, but this brings things to a whole new level of chocolate addiction.... I thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heh Michael, I want to 'trackback' to my blog because I've just written about your blondies there- but I can't see how to. Do you know how to? I've never done it before...
    here: http://www.thegoodsoup.com/recipes/breads-biscuits/sweet/oat-strawberry-and-milk-blondies/

    ReplyDelete