Saturday 24 September 2011

More Apples Made Into Apple Cake

Last night I had a great night-out with friends. I thought we'll be meeting for food first then found out that, that's not the case and went straight for cocktails, gin and tonics and the dance floor with empty stomach. On my way home, Mark and I went to the kebab shop and I had some greasy chips and greasy kebab meats with garlic sauce. Lovely at the time of intoxication, but this morning, not so good...

Anyway, as I shouted to my friends all night, "I am fine!", let's get to business. This apple cake recipe is inspired by a recipe from a wonderful blogger friend, Dom at Belleau Kitchen. His recipe for Gunby Orchard Apple Cake looks utterly delicious (today is Dom's birthday, so Happy Birthday Dom! Have a fantastic day filled with food and drinks!!). I'd love to try the exact recipe but since I am bringing this cake to work, I am required to adjust some of the ingredients and also the apples give to me from my friend Janet are of different kinds. I used gluten-free flour so that my friend Michelle is able to enjoy the cake. I omitted the sultanas because my boss hates them, and I always want to be on the good side. And I added apricot glaze to the cake for smooth, shiny look.

I still have more apples and if you have apple recipes you think I should try, please send me the link. Thank you... and enjoy your weekend!!


Apple Cake
Inspired by Gunby Orchard Apple Cake TM

For the cake:
100 grams light brown sugar
100 grams caster sugar
200 grams butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs
300 grams all-purpose flour (I used gluten-free flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons milk
450 grams apples, peeled, cored and finely diced

For the topping:
3 - 4 apples, peeled, cored and finely sliced
2 tablespoons caster sugar
25 grams butter, cut into small dice
3 tablespoons apricot jam

Start by creaming the softened butter and the sugars with free-standing or hand-held mixer, until light and fluffy.

In a bowl, measure and sieve the flour, baking powder and ground cinnamon. Add the first egg to the butter, mix well. Then add half of the flour and mix again. Add the other egg and the rest of the flour. Add the milk to thin the batter slightly. Fold in the finely diced apples.

Pour into a greased and lined cake tin. Like Dom, I used a nine inch square tin. Top the batter with finely sliced apples in any patterns you like. Sprinkle with sugar and dot with the butter. Bake in a preheated 180C oven for 45 minutes. Stay in the kitchen and enjoy the lovely aroma of baking apples and cinnamon.

When the cake is done, heat the apricot jam and brush the apple topping completely with the jam. Allow to cool and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

9 comments:

  1. you made this cake after a night out?? you are amazing...my head would be hovering over the toilet i think...looks incredible! :) you are such a nice co-worker to adapt recipes...i just make what i like and think...well if they don't like it that means all the more for me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!... looks damn fine Michael!.. very skill-full for after a night out... it always fascinates me when people make gluten free stuff as my niece is a celiac and I am constantly looking to adapt recipes. You're such a good person to think of everyone at work and all their needs... lovely stuff! (and thanks for the mentions xxx)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delicious! and it's even gluten-free! All these apple cakes lately are making me feel like I need to start baking one soon! Did you prefer the Nigella one or Dom's? Haha, just to help me start narrowing down my options.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh.. yea, I've had nights like that!! lol
    The cake looks lovely, Michael.. wish I had a piece right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apples like this...wow...the more, the merrier! This is a perfect autumn afternoon tea cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Victoria: Thank you. I have had one of those hangover days... not good :)

    Dom: Thanks Dom. I aim to please everyone at the office. The thing is, nobody can really tell the difference.

    Shu Han: Well, there was a discussion about which cake is better. This one has more flavour, but my friends prefer the more generous portion of Nigella's :)

    Jenn: Thanks Jenn. Well if you come around, I'll bake you this cake.

    Angie: Couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous apple cake, Michael...love the way you have the apples rotated...like, "little soldiers" so perfectly in a row, and the taste?
    it can only be divine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This looks so good. This gets my Mmm Mmm Mmmm Award! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went for a completely different recipe for my birthday instead because I wanted a moist cake but didnt have ground almonds. copied the presentation though, kind of hahaha.

    ReplyDelete