Saturday 20 February 2010

fresh pasta

Today I made my very first fresh pasta. I was a little terrified at the beginning, but it was actually a lot of fun. I followed Jamie’s instruction for basic recipe for fresh egg pasta dough. There were two options, you can either make the dough in a food processor or the traditional way; and for my first time, I went for the conventional way with the big wooden board, flour, well in the centre, eggs and the two best tools attached to my body, my hands.

I wasn’t particularly good with kneading the dough, but I know that it takes practise. And as Jamie said, there’s no secret to kneading. You just have to bash, squash, pull, stretch and bash again with your hands until it’s smooth.



The dough was then rolled with a pasta machine, which again loads of fun, and cut into some long strips to make pappardelle with a ragu of tiny meatballs.



My friend Leo came over for dinner and he was well impressed that I made fresh pasta. To be honest, so was I.

The pasta was a little thicker than my liking but it was still very nice.

I’m halfway through the project now and it’s getting more and more exciting.

Thanks Jamie.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Michael! A wonderful first pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joy. I cannot wait to make some more fresh pasta.

    ReplyDelete