Monday 14 February 2011

Chocolate Orange Loaf Cake

On Friday I've been known to bring treats to work, like muffins, cupcakes, cheesecakes, brownies, blondies, etc. Last Friday, I didn't bring anything and my colleagues were all so disappointed and I was given the hardest time at work... teased all day. I apparently ruined Fun Friday for everyone. Well, excuse me people, I think I am allowed a break some time!

However the truth is, I love feeding people and it is such an important ritual for me. I feed myself everyday, and cooking for one isn't always fun. I am happiest when I see my friends having my food; and also it gives me great satisfaction when I hear the 'yum' noises and the compliments afterwards. I defy anyone who loves cooking and doesn't enjoy getting the compliments just as much, or if not more, than the cooking itself.

So, to make up for last Friday, I baked this delicious chocolate orange loaf cake to bring to the office today. This cake is incredibly easy to make, it's uber moist and I always love the combination of chocolate and orange.


This is also my entry for the Forever Nigella blogging event hosted by Sarah at Maison Cupcake. I missed the first event but nonetheless here I am now. The theme for the second event is 'Seduced by Chocolate' and I think we all know how much Nigella loves her chocolate and there are so many wonderful recipes of hers, savoury and sweet that includes chocolate to choose from Nigella's collection.


Wearing black satin dressing gown to cook in the dark by fairy lights is actively encoraged in this blogging event. Well, that didn't happen I'm afraid...

Chocolate Orange Loaf Cake
Recipe by Nigella Lawson
in Kitchen, Recipes from the Heart of the Home


One last thing, you may still remember from few posts ago, about my obsession to have the perfect teeth. So, last week I went to the dentist for a regular check-up. I was feeling confident. I brush my teeth everyday, I floss regularly and I also use mouthwash. My dentist then said, "your teeth are fine, but...", and I immediately thought, "oh, No...!". Apparently I have a mild problem (known as something I cannot remember in medical term) and I have to have two appointments to get rid of this thing. My dentist explained the procedure but all I can think about at that time was "it's gonna be painful" and I'm not very well handling pain.

Whilst arranging the appointment, I asked the nurse, "does it hurt, the procedure?" and she said, "no, it doesn't. It's a strange feeling". Strange feeling? You know what I think, I think someone is bloody lying!

The first appointment is later this afternoon. I am crying inside. God help me. If you don't see any posts in the next couple of days, that probably means I am dead. Nice knowing all of you.

Updates: So, I am still very much alive. The appointment was actually alright. It wasn't as scary and painful as I thought it would be. I was acting like a baby. My upper lip is still numb and that is a strange feeling...

16 comments:

  1. slightly dramatic michael, but good luck for this afternoon... remember to repeat... beauty is pain... beauty is pain.... beauty is pain... fabulous choc cake by the way x

    ReplyDelete
  2. First...good luck at the dentist! The best 2 words to know when you go to the dentist: Laughing Gas!!!!
    Second...the cake...Oh, Michael, that cake looks divine! Moist..chocolatey..YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well whatever they've done to you at the dentist, I hope that after a lie down you'll be capable of eating a piece of this cake. If not, feel free to send it over here.

    Thanks for joining in with Forever Nigella!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on your dentist appointment...no need to say, that I dislike going to the dentist :-)
    The chocolate and orange cake is absolutely a perfect combination of flavor...yours look so light and fluffy...yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck at the dentist! At least you have cake to look forward too after the appointments!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have lucky colleagues if you prepare a treat for them every week! They should join in once in a while.

    The cake looks marvellous. You have inspired me to give this a try at the weekend. Chocolate and orange are a marriage made in heaven.

    Glad your dentist appointment went ok. You can breathe a sigh of relief!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL@your coworkers...I meant...they are spoiled. LOL
    You are a loyal fan of Nigella. The chocolate cake looks very soft...almost like a chiffon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michael-I loved reading your funny post, so entertaining, and so "real"...I hope you are all right now after the dentist "drama"...LOL
    Your cake look so decadent and perfect for Valentine. Would love to try this recipe from yet, another Nigella.
    I hope she knows how you are such a huge fan of hers, and promoting her!...BTW-she is amazing, and so are you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! Your cake is one of my favorites! It looks so soft and flavorful ~ Nigella would be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to know your well... I've been to a lot of dental pains so I can relate how u feel... and its a strange feeling that your mouth is numb on Valentine's Day :) hugss

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really are a sweet Michael. And you really are in love with Nigella. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michael, I saw this program on telly about pain management once, and apparently pinning a clothes peg on one of your earlobes will alleviate any pain at the dentist's.. even during a tooth-drilling procedure! Maybe you should try this preemptive measure for your next visit...haha. And take a photo as proof.

    So glad to see that you joined that Nigella blogging event, I want to as well! In your case, the event should be re-named Seduced by Nigella ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you everyone for the lovely comments and support. They are very much appreciated.

    Maya, thank you for the tip. I'll remember that. I have another appointment next Monday. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun that you joined the event...but sorry about your dental scares, glad it worked out OK.
    This loaf looks amazing and I am more than sure that it made up for the time off :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My Mother used to take us straight from the dentist to the baker's shop so we could gingerly eat a cake or sticky bun with frozen mouths. Great pic of this cake - wish you worked in my office.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, that looks very mouth-watering. Anyway, I'm glad that your appointment with the dentist went well. Yeah, for a lot of people it can be a pretty scary experience, which makes it feel very nice when they find out that it's not really something to be afraid of.

    Good job, on both the cake and dental procedures!

    ReplyDelete