Monday 8 August 2011

Mozzarella and Slow-cooked Tomatoes

It's been rather gloomy here the past few days, and I thought why not bring the summer inside. So, I cooked this simple mozzarella and slow cooked tomatoes. OK, the tomatoes take 3 hours to cook, but in the meantime, you could be doing other things. For me it's house chores or just about anything but the actual work I should be doing.

To serve this "summer on a plate", grill slices of country bread, then rub one side of each bread with garlic and drizzle with good olive oil. Pour yourself a well-chilled drinks and enjoy.


Mozzarella and Slow-cooked Tomatoes
Recipe by Stéphane Reynaud
Serves 6

12 heirloom tomatoes
8 garlic cloves
80 ml olive oil
fleur de sel
1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
6 balls buffalo mozzarella
1 bunch basil, leaves picked

Preheat the oven to 100 C. Place the tomatoes in a roasting tin. Peel and chop the garlic, scatter the garlic over the tomatoes, add the olive oil, the fleur de sel and the herbes de Provence. Bake for 3 hours.

To serve, place 1 ball of mozzarella and 2 lukewarm tomatoes in each serving bowl and add some cooking juices and basil leaves.

21 comments:

  1. such a simple recipe but so delicious, you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple but I can tell damn tasty, I love to rub my bread with fresh garlic and I could eat like this everyday!
    Awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea! Does look like summer on a plate :)
    Hope you had a lovely weekend Michael...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely the definition of 'heaven on a plate'. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been eying up this recipe...I made his mac n cheese last night...love this book!!! I'll have to get some toms from the farmers market before the weather truly turns up here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you are such a purist on this one bro! I would love to feast a summer on your tomato goodness!
    Hope the weather picks up on your end! It's rather a nice warm winter here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Michael, this look awesome, love the twist of serving the buffalo mozzarella with a slow roast tomatoes...beautiful dish.
    Hope you are having a great week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really adore Stéphane Reynaud and you've picked a good one out of his book, Michael. I wouldn't want to waste 3 hours of electricity or gas just to cook tomatoes, but boy, do they look good on that plate! Btw, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the riots don't reach Sunderland. Just in case, just keep your pantry well stocked up ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tomatoes sound incredibly good cooked this way! I bet they just melt in your mouth - perfect with the mozzarella!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hope all is well with you over there, all is safe, across the big pond... now, this is indeed a taste of summer, glorious tomatoes slow cooked to perfection and eaten as you would truffles,,, marvelous my friend

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the slow cooked tomatoes...this would make an ideal appetizer for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This reminds me a lot of a recipe from a TV show we can no longer get. It's an American woman cooking French style food on what's called here the "Cooking Channel". I can think of a slight variation on this. My problem? Everyone is posting wonderful ideas today. What's a boy to do?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually bake my tomatoes stuffed with all kinds of sins. LOL!!! You're still in Medan or back in the UK. Take care...if it's the latter - all the riots and the looting and everything going on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just adore fresh mozzarella. That plate looks so appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This really is summer on a plate... lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Michael! Very chic and truly gourmet, this elegant, yet simple light dish is!
    Love the slow cooked tomatoes, and the fresh mozzarella cheese. Perfect combination...just drooling here, thinking about how good it will taste when the cheese starts to melt with the warm tomatoes. Heavenly:DDD

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore the delicious simplicity to this dish Michael! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. sounds divine :-) hope the weather gets better my parents have been complaining

    ReplyDelete
  19. slow cooked tomatoes?? Those sound awesome! I'm glad you could bring summer into your home. Now...can you please send some rain out here to Texas?? We really need it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete