Monday 5 April 2010

Easter

yesterday I had Leo and Merlyn over for Easter. I love having them around. Although once they're here, there's no way to get rid of them... I'm just kidding. It's always fun!

For lunch I made gnocchi with braised oxtail which was delicious. The braised oxtail took just over four hours to make, but not at all difficult. I made it the day before to save time and the flavours just got better.

Dinner was roast salmon with fennel, parsley and tomato and potato rosti. I cooked whole fish many times but they still scare me. I think it's their eyes staring at me.



I had to cut the tail because my oven wasn't big enough.

My verdict on the salmon: I'm sorry to say the salmon was just so-so. I thought it was missing like a sauce or something.

Dessert was a collaborative work. We made molten chocolate babycakes, a recipe from Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddess cook book. After 12 minutes in the oven, the chocolate cakes was still too runny when tipped out of the individual moulds. Delicious though.

The leftover salmon is now transformed into a curry for dinner tonight. Leo and Merlyn are coming over again (see, there's no way to get rid of them). hehe...

Day 216, recipe 101

5 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Well, even though as you say, the salmon was "so-so" I bet you put a lot of effort in that and in the whole dinner!And to me that salmon looks really good!
    Potato rösti..I make it as well, in different versions of it, and I love it!
    My compliments on your cooking, and on your blog,I really hope more people will come to see your blog!
    Annalisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah..you are right mike! there's no way to get rid of us..and thank you for yesterday and tonight! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annalisa, thank you. Your support is very much appreciated. I love cooking and I love sharing it with people.

    Merlyn, it was my pleasure.

    P.S. we baked a second batch of the molten chocolate babycakes last night, this time for 15 minutes and they were perfect... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, your meal sounds wonderful. May I ask if you used a wild or farm raised salmon. It can make a real difference in flavor. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm... I didn't ask the fishmonger Mary. But now you brought it up, I shall ask the next time and I'll let you know.
    Same to you... :)

    ReplyDelete