Monday 12 April 2010

potato salad

I have had a great long weekend with friends. We went to visit some of the local tourist attractions like Penshaw monument, Angel of the North, Bowes Museum, Blackpool, Alton Towers and York. The weather has been beautiful here in England as well for the past few days. Even though it’s sunny, it’s not that warm yet, but spring is definitely coming.

Anyway, I’m glad to be home and to be cooking again. For dinner tonight, I made amazing potato and horseradish salad with fine herbs and bresaola. I went and bought the bresaola (lean cured beef, by the way if you don’t know) from an Italian restaurant during my lunch break today. I never had bresaola before, and it’s delish as so the rest of the salad.



With the salad, I also made salmon, spinach and goat’s cheese frittata and a glass of red wine (I thought I’d treat myself). I am stuffed.



Many of my friends asked how I decide what to cook from the book. Honestly, I don’t have any particular orders. I normally read the book in the morning and decide what I feel like having for dinner and also the ingredients I can find. With 61 recipes to go and running a little behind, sooner or later I have to prepare and cook live crabs and lobster. Dreading, dreading, dreading...

7 comments:

  1. Two delicious dishes Michael!
    (I would be dreading the crabs and lobsters too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :)
    Yes, I'm not looking forward to that :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll give my support to you mike!! :) and..the salad looks interesting... let me try if you make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These dishes are delicious!!!
    Bresaola is from Valtellina, and I make it often, topping it with rocket and parmesan cheese. I love it with horseradish!!!
    And what a great frittata you made..delicious, everything!
    Great work,
    Annalisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Annalisa.
    How lovely! I've been to Italy twice but not to Valtellina. I'd love to come back again some day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of bresaola. Now I'm curious as to its availability here. No matter - your salad looks gorgeous. Could a cured pork also be used? I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, I have also never heard of bresaola until I came across it in Jamie's book. I've been looking for it for some time and found it by accident whilst having a meal in a local Italian restaurant.
    Now that you mentioned cured pork, that sounds delicious. I'll try it next time and will let you know. Have a wonderful day to you too.

    ReplyDelete