Tuesday 10 August 2010

4. Ultimate Gingerbread


Jamie's recipe for the ultimate gingerbread is his attempt to uncover the secret recipe which is about 150 years from the famous gingerbread shop in Grasmere, in the Lake District. I have tasted the original Grasmere gingerbread and they are delicious.

It's not until recently I appreciate the flavour and the refreshing aroma of ginger.

The base of the gingerbread is made with shortbread, which you can make yourself from Jamie's recipe, or your own favourite shortbread recipe or buy. I decided to make my shortbread from Jamie's recipe which is so-buttery, he names it the best shortbread in the world. When I made this the first time a few months ago, I couldn't believe how easy it was to make shortbread.

Once the gingerbread is made and cooled, blitz them in a food processor with ground ginger and coarse demerara sugar until you have crumbs. Set aside some of this crumbs for the topping later. Add more ground ginger, chopped mixed peel, crystallised ginger, flour and baking powder and pulse again until well mixed.

In a saucepan big enough to hold the ingredients, melt some butter, treacle and golden syrup (you and I know that this is gonna be good). When melted, add the mixture from the food processor and stir until everything is thoroughly mixed together. Tip into a baking tray and spread out evenly. When the mix is flat and dense, put in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.

The smell coming out from the oven was delicious... Take the tray out of the oven and sprinkle the hot gingerbread with the reserved crumbs, pressing them down really well. Cut into good size pieces and leave to cool in the tray before eating.

Waiting for them to cool was the hardest part... After a couple of hours, it was finally the time for me to try it. The gingerbread really lives up to its name. It has just the right amount of ginger and packed with flavours from the mixed peel and the crystallised ginger which also give texture to the gingerbread.

I took some to work today and it was a big hit at the office. I visited the Grasmere Gingerbread Shop website and they have a section full of celebrity quotes (including Jamie Oliver) who tasted their gingerbread. I don't have any celebrity friends, so I'll just feature some quotes from my friends at work.

Julia: "this gingerbread is the best. It's delicious and chewy and has the right amount of ginger." (Julia also asked if I can make a batch of the gingerbread for her party in a couple of weeks. I said yes with pleasure)

Kelly: "Gingerlicious. Will you marry me?"

Julie: "Scrumptious"

Jonny: "....................(long delicious noise)...................." and then asked for more, but then there was none left. The last two were already reserved.

Well, Grasmere Shop, watch out!

9 comments:

  1. I've never seen this before! Never heard of a sortbread in gingerbread. Sounds great though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound great! I think last Christmas was the first time I really decided that I could like gingerbread :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I love the quotes!
    You need to start delivering to the first floor ;DD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, these sound and look perfect. I always think gingerbread would be fussy to make but you (and Jamie!) make it sound easy. I will have to give this one a go. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely divine...I adore ginger, and with the shortbread :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gingerbread is one of my favorites. I'll have to try Jamie's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael, these really look wonderful. I love ginger bread and I love shortbread. These have my name written all over them. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. AJ, shortbread in gingerbread, delicious.

    Sarah, I think you'll like this one...

    Carla, you need to visit me on the ground floor more often. I promise I'll ring next time I bring in treats :)

    Bridgett, I was surprised myself how easy it was. Give it a try.

    Magic of Spice, I couldn't agree more

    Rick, I think you'll enjoy this.

    Joy, YUM... :)

    Mary, they really are wonderful. Have a great day to you too.

    ReplyDelete