Saturday 26 March 2011

Asparagus and Pea Risotto with Watercress

I cooked this a couple of days ago and when I was just about to take a picture, my camera's battery decided to die. Great...

This was so delicious, it gave me pleasure to cook and eat it again. And I feel it's so selfish of me no to share the recipe with you.

The sweetness from the asparagus and peas nicely balance watercress' peppery taste in this creamy risotto. And the lemon juice, though not much of it, it's necessary to brighten up the flavours.

Have a great weekend.

I suddenly realised I've been eating a lot of peas and asparagus lately...


Asparagus and Pea Risotto with Watercress
Recipe by Me
Serves 2

2 spring onions, finely sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 fat clove of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
250 g arborio risotto rice
500 ml vegetable stock
6 green asparagus spears
a couple handfuls of frozen peas
a small bunch of watercress, reserving some for garnish
parmesan cheese
a knob of butter
extra virgin olive oil
lemon juice
salt and pepper

Trim the ends off the asparagus spears and cut into thin slices. Sauté the spring onions in a pan over gentle heat in the olive oil, then add the rice, the dried thyme and allow the rice to become translucent. Add the vegetable stock to moisten, stir regularly and adding stock as it is absorbed for about 15 minutes. Add the asparagus and peas, and cook for a further 5 minutes. Taste and season with salt, pepper and parmesan. Add the watercress and butter, cook for further couple of minutes to let the watercress wilt a bit. The consistency of the risotto should be creamy. Serve on a plate and top with more parmesan, reserved watercress leaves, a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.

9 comments:

  1. I can tell by your recent recipes, that you too, are feeling Spring in the air. Peas, asparagus and watercress such a nice spring flavor combination.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. The combination of flavors sounds really good. However, the photo is very unflattering. It's ok, Michael, we all love you anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hate it when the camera dies on me. We always have a back up on the charger though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, this sounds really good. I love the Spring flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really delicious. I love asparagus - can't get enough of it in the spring time :) Thanks for the delicious spring recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey bro!
    Reminds me of my vegetarian days. Exactly the stuff I'd make. I think I better make one again ay. Tasty AND healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I know what to do with some of the 2 meals worth of asparagus we have in the fridge. Thanks, Michael

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peas, asparagus and watercress are absolutely perfect in your risotto, Michael. A super combo of vegetables, I would be happy eating just this for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the simplicity of your risotto recipes Michael... this is such a great classic with the peas and asparagus... fab stuff!

    ReplyDelete