Tuesday 1 March 2011

Oatmeal Buttermilk Pancakes

My friend Mark refers to my Tuesdays as Michael's lazy day, because Tuesday is the day when I am off work and attend lectures at University. If you don't already know, I am currently doing a post-graduate course in media and cultural studies. I am really enjoying the course and now in the middle of planning a proposal for a dissertation. I can assure you that it'll be food related... more updates in the coming months as I'm probably gonna be stressed out closer to the submission date. But until that day comes, I'm gonna stay calm and focus.

Anyway, this term my class starts in the afternoon, so I have a bit extra time in the morning to cook breakfast. Nothing complicated, nothing fancy, like making pancakes. After all, it is the morning. I don't function well before my second cup of coffee.

These oatmeal buttermilk pancakes are so good... I borrowed the recipe from Joshua at Cooking the Books. Joshua served his pancakes with maple syrup and bacon which are my favourite accompaniments for pancakes. But today, I am sorta going towards the healthier option, serving my pancakes with macerated strawberries and a healthy drizzle of rosewater sugar syrup, left from the sticky semolina cake; giving the pancakes a taste of Arabian morning...

I couldn't find buttermilk where I live and Joshua kindly suggested making buttermilk substitute by mixing lemon juice and skimmed milk which worked great.


As I am typing this, dinner is also nicely simmering on the stove ready to be digested later this evening, poached chicken with lardons and lentils. I think this morning has been a productive one, don't you think?

Have a great day...

15 comments:

  1. I love that tip on the buttermilk...it has saved me from having to go to the grocery store numerous times!
    The pancakes look lovely, Michael. I love strawberries over my pancakes...even more then syrup!
    I can't wait to hear what your dissertation will be about....good luck! I don't miss that part of school at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, did you know that it's pancake day here in the states? Yes, it is a real thing! IHOP (a chain restaurant here) is giving away free stackes of pancakes to their customers today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. naughty pancakes!... great tip on the lemon juice/milk scenario... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks divine, I love the flavor description. I always make me & Indy Dill/havarti Omelets on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael, those pancakes look delicious! I am glad I stopped by today. By the way, I have a contest giveaway on my blog you might find fun. Take a look. triumphandtears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUUUM. I don't function well in the morning as well. It's usually just cereal and milk for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pancakes look wonderful! Shrove Tuesday has come early in your house, and why not?!

    You will need to let us know how the poached chicken turns out. That is on my to-do list for this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael-What a fantastic course you are taking...media, and cultural studies. In no time we will see you broadcasting the news, from the UK, or CNN? That means that you will have to move here. You will then have a chance of joining us for our family dinners, and would love to have you as our guest.
    Love the buttermilk pancakes. Such a yummy recipe from your friend, who also has such a beautiful blog, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a special breakfast with the strawberries and leftover syrup! Completely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been so behind on your blog! These pancakes look perfectly fluffy...although I'm not much of a pancake fan, I'd easily eat them with all those strawberries ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fluffy, soft and fresh....I love those pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very productive day :) Wonderful breakfast and love the substitution idea for buttermilk...
    Hope your having a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't made pancakes in a while but that will now change. They look great especially with the nice flavor of the strawberries. This weekend calls for some pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't often take the time for pancakes in the morning unless I have company. Going to copy this recipe to use in the future. Looks excellent.
    Good luck with your decision and proposal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmmmm...that looks delicious! I love to put strawberries on top of my pancakes.

    ReplyDelete