Wednesday 16 March 2011

Petit Pois a la Francaise

Petit pois a la Francaise is peas cooked in the French style. Is it just me or do you also think it sounds somehow better in French? The peas are cooked with spring onions, garlic, little gem lettuce, broth and butter...well, after all it is a French dish.

I use frozen baby peas here because it's convenient and the peas are picked at the peak of their season and immediately frozen, normally within a couple of hours to preserve their flavours and nutrients. So, nothing to feel guilty about using frozen peas.

At the end of the cooking, I encourage you to add just a little lemon juice to brighten up the flavour.
You could also add lardons and a touch of cream if you're feeling naughty but nice. 

The buttery peas and lettuce makes a great side dish to a Sunday roast, just make sure none of your guests have a phobia of peas (it's a real thing apparently). For me, I happily eat this with some plain cooked basmati rice. Bon appétit!


Petit Pois a la Francaise
Recipe by Nigella Lawson
For list of ingredients and instructions, click here.

12 comments:

  1. Everything sounds better in French :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is better in French. I like having fresh peas with creme fraiche sometimes, but this dish sounds even better than that. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree...it sounds so fancy when said in French! This is a delicious side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Nigella make that on one of her shows. I always thought it sounded so good. Peas were the only vegetable I would eat until I was about 13!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks yum - peas are so tasty. What a healthy dish too. Well, I could probably just eat this on its own (maybe followed by a pud)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spot on! French cuisine is my specialty. Great side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love love love this dish... i often breeze past it when reading Nigella and think about how bloody lovely it sounds but just have never made it... I simply must do it this weekend!... x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect side dish for Easter Sunday. This looks and sounds delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a delicious preparation for peas! They would of made the perfect side dish for my tarragon chicken that I posted today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful...I agree, perfect with just some rice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum. I love buttered peas but these are buttered peas on crack! This is definitely going to have to start being a staple side dish in my home. The Hubble be damned! I'm tired of his pickiness anyway! ;-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete