Sunday 13 March 2011

Coconut Bread Pudding

The already delicious bread pudding is enhanced with coconut cream and a hint of dark rum. So, if you love the flavour of coconut, you will love this bread pudding. It's a lovely exotic tropical twist on a classic dessert. I wish there was a way to attach the aroma coming out from the oven because mouths will water once they smell the scent of this sweet pudding.

I use coconut cream here to make the custard, but if you can't find it, simply use good-old double cream and replace the milk with regular coconut milk which is more widely available. You can also certainly add raisins that have been soaked in rum or shredded coconut, it's up to you... All I need was a bowl and a spoon. Yum.




Coconut Bread Pudding
Recipe by Me
Serves 2-3

2 large eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons golden caster sugar
320 ml coconut cream
160 ml whole milk
2 tsp dark rum, optional
6 slices of brioche
icing sugar, to dust

Start by making the coconut custard. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until smooth and pale. Pour the coconut cream and milk into a saucepan and slowly bring to a simmer, then take off the heat and gradually whisk into the egg mixture. Return the mixture into the saucepan and whisk in the rum. Cook gently on a low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon lightly; do not allow to boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 150 C. Cut the brioche into small slices and arrange in a 15 cm diameter round dish. Pour the custard evenly over the surface. Let it stand for 5 minutes to give the bread time to soak up all of those luscious custard.

Stand the dish in a roasting tin and pour enough hot water to come halfway up the side of the dish. Bake for about 35 minutes until just set. When the pudding is ready, lift it out of the water bath. Dust the surface generously with icing sugar. Serve warm.

My new friend, Victoria at Mission: Food is the host of the Bread Pudding Club, so if you happen to bake a bread pudding soon and want to share your recipe, don't forget to visit her delicious blog.

16 comments:

  1. Hello Michael, I'm back! I haven't been to your blog for awhile so there's lots to catch up on. Settling down with a cup of tea now, and envoking that aroma of coconut and rum...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread pudding must be in the air! We've been making it with croissants... but I really like your brioche and coconut suggestion. I'm going to have to go to the organic store for coconut though... the dessicated coconut from the supermarket tastes like soap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not one to usually go for bread pudding..mainly because they always seem to have raisins in them... so I'm digging yours! And I LOVE the flavor of coconut and rum together!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks great you must hook up with Victoria of Mission- Food she does amazing bread puddings too

    ReplyDelete
  5. This bread pudding sounds exquisite. I really love coconut and bread pudding. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me that I haven't made any bread pudding for long. Yours with coconut must have tasted really pleasant and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my god Michael this is divine!... I would never have thought of using coconut milk but it's genius! I can imagine what this tastes like... brilliant stuff!... thanks for the recipe xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your bread pudding, Michael I have not made bread pudding in a long, time, and I love the addition with the coconut milk!

    re: the walnuts in my brownies. I was left with most of the brownies, since the little guys did not want to eat it with walnuts...I hear you, about not liking walnuts, but I love it; just have to leave it out of the brownies next time, so I don't have to eat the whole batch, just with Lora...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha! You're so funny... How awesome would that be if we could attach scents and smells to posts? Actually, it's probably be better that we can't. I'd be even more sad if I could smell these amazing dishes but not be able to eat them.
    I want a huge scoop/slice of this coconut bread pudding! I love bread pudding but I've never had a coconut one before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Want, Want, Want... This looks delicious. :) I haven't made bread pudding for ever, totally loving the addition of the coconut milk. Would make it super tasty! :) Im with Jenn, the raisons and sultanas often turn me off the traditional bread & butter pud. Yours rocks my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks incredible! Love the coconut with the rum! I just found two bags of coconut in my pantry that I need to use up - some version of this might be showing up in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michael, your bread pudding looks delicious, specially with coconut cream in it...and the brioche bread all together...gorgeous! Have a wonderful week ahead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, definitely a divine bread pudding. Just the thought of rum and coconut alone is heavenly!
    You should enter this into the "Bread Pudding" event at Mission Foods this month if you have not already. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a spoon!!! You have the bowl! I'm on my way!!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you everyone for the comments. The bread pudding was utterly delicious. I'll be making this often. Do let me know if you're coming and I'll save you some :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Michael! I've also used coconut flavor in my bread pudding, just in a different form from coconut cream. Great minds think alike, eh! I must post my pudding up soon, before the month is up... Your bread pudding looks utterly scrumptious, btw!

    ReplyDelete