Tuesday 8 March 2011

Roast Chicken with Goat's Cheese

Nothing beats the simplicity of a good roast chicken, with its salty, crispy skin, moist breast meat and tender dark meat (my favourite!).

This particular recipe is so simple and delicious. The carrots and shallots add lovely sweetness along with the garlic that became soft and sweet, the fragrant rosemary... and extra saltiness and also creaminess from the goat's cheese. Ah, so good!

The original recipe calls for Dutch carrots and French shallots, but I just used the regular kinds. I also added cubes of pancetta and I don't think I need any explanations for adding extra deliciousness. Right?

Serve with lemony couscous with chickpeas and well-chilled Riesling, and I am on my way to a delightful evening...


Roast Chicken with Goat's Cheese
Recipe by Stéphane Reynaud
Serves 6

1 free-range chicken
6 Dutch carrots
6 French shallots
6 garlic cloves
100 ml olive oil
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 fresh Sainte-Maure goat's cheese
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 160 C. Cut the chicken into 8 portions (thighs, drumsticks, breasts and wings). Peel the carrots. Place the chicken in a roasting tin with the whole carrots, shallots and garlic cloves in their skins, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with rosemary.

Bake for 45 minutes, basting the chicken regularly with its juices. Crumble the cheese over the chicken and bake for a further 15 minutes. Season and serve from the roasting tin.

15 comments:

  1. great recipe love the idea of adding goats cheese

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds delicious. I'm always roasting chicken - so easy, so little cleaning up - and this is a great take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roast chicken is the bees-knees. I like it best stuffed with a lemon and served with some rocket leaves. Yum. Your toad in the hole and cheesecake look great too. You have inspired me to get cooking again today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know me... I love a roasted chicken... aren't this dishes just so easy and so effective!... love the combinations here. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take a fantastic roast chicken and make a whole lot better by adding goat cheese!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of Dutch carrots or french shallots before, I would also have to use the regular kind. They do sound fancy though! This chicken looks great

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic meal...you remind me of my sons with the pancetta, I goes well everywhere according to them :)
    Hope you are having a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are absolutely right, that there is no other food that beats the simplicity of a good roasted chicken. Yours looks delightful. The addition of goat cheese is a really nice touch.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mike, mmm...adding goat cheese to already tasty roasted chicken makes this divine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, just roasted chicken does it for me too! I have never added goats cheese, which I am going to do next time because I love it and never thought of it with chicken!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simplicity at its best and I find it so comforting as well. Brilliant idea with the goat cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love goat cheese. And roast chicken. And the dark meat is my FAVORITE!! This would go perfectly with my goat cheese cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Un plato precioso acompañados de espinacas que me encantan, un plato muy bello y bien complementado,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you know, I've been scouring my recipe collection looking for things to use this lovely big hunk of goats cheese I've got leftover from my last catering job. All I've come up with is souffles and tarts. This roast chicken really ups the stakes! Nice one, Michael, thank you.

    ReplyDelete